Red Sea reef foundation pro test kit

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by antdizzle, May 30, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. antdizzle

antdizzle Peppermint Shrimp

broght one home yesterday from the store, and I must say im impressed with the upgrade in the quality of their tests ! really reminds me of a salifert test and many other high end test kits, glass sample vile's instead of plastic, nicer syringes, and what seems to be better all around chemicals. not sure on how accurate they are as I dnt have another kit here to compare them to. anyone else use this kit yet ? or some of the smaller ones ?

2. Click Here!

3. mike.nakh

mike.nakh Astrea Snail

honeslty one of the best products out imo
    there right on dot accuracy wise

4. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Old thread, but I am considering buying this package. I found this online:

Salifert VS Red Sea Reef Foundation Pro Test Kit
    « on: 11/21/11 »

My supply of Salifert test kits was getting low, so I decided to give the new Red Sea Pro test kits a try.
    I bought the Red Sea Reef Foundation Pro kit, which includes tests for: Ca, Mg and Alk.

These test kits have been out there for a while, and I never like to buy the first boat load of anything. At this point I think there have been enough "field trials" that I'm willing to give them a try. For now I'm only going to try the Ca, Mg and Alk for comparison vs Salifert.

First consideration was the cost,. I used BRS since they sell both brands and used the "preferred customer" pricing. I did not consider the current 10% discount they are offering on the Red Sea Product.

Salifert, Ca, Mg and Alk kits total: $61.20

# of tests/cost
    Ca = 50 @ $ 23.40/kit $.48 ea./per test
    Mg = 50 @ $ 24.30/kit $.49 ea./per test
    Alk = 100 @ $13.50/kit $.14 ea./per test

Red Sea Reef Foundation Pro Kit: $49.99

# of tests/cost (using refill costs)
    Ca = 75 @ $13.00/refill $.17 ea./per test
    Mg = 100 @ $12.00/refill $.12 ea./per test
    Alk = 75 @ $12.00/refill $.16 ea./per test

There is a real cost savings with the Red Sea kits. But, how did they test out as far as accuracy?

I've done three sets of tests now over the last three weeks.

Salifert

Week 1 Ca = 410 Week 2 Ca = 400 Week 3 Ca = 420 7/7/2012 Ca = 410
    Week 1 Mg = 1350 Week 2 Mg = 1340 Week 3 Mg = 1340 Mg = 1350
    Week 1 Alk = 8.6 Week 2 Alk = 9.3 Week 3 Alk = 8.9 Alk = 8.6

Red Sea Pro

Week 1 Ca = 400 Week 2 Ca = 390 Week 3 Ca = 410 7/7/2012 Ca = 400
    Week 1 Mg = 1360 Week 2 Mg = 1350 Week 3 Mg = 1350 Mg = 1350
    Week 1 Alk = 8.4 Week 2 Alk = 9.0 Week 3 Alk = 8.7 Alk = 8.5

I think the numbers speak for themselves. I will continue to monitor these tests until my Salifert kits are used up.

The one caveat here is that the Red Sea kit calculation is determined by taking your end point reading from the plunger in the syringe and deducting it from the 1mL you started with, to determine how much of the titrant was used, i.e. if the reading on the syringe is .37 you used .63, which is the number you need to determine your reading. It isn't hard, but you have to do the math, and I see it as an area for potential human error. The Salifert kit just gives you the reading without the user having to do any additional calculations.