Rebuilding the sump Room!

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by Reefbuilder, Jul 26, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Reefbuilder

Reefbuilder Scooter Blennie

Here is the video

Well they say if it is not broken don't fix it - well being I spend more time in the sump room I have decided to add stadium seating.... Ha ha just kidding.

Now all joking aside - I think what I accomplished on my first ever build was pretty impressive, But I am also the type of person that reads, and learns and watches other people and there set ups and I have come to the point that I have decided to "revise" my sump room.

I will post pictures as I go along.... but here are my goals - More organization and more space!

Today I built a 7' long stand that has a bottom and top shelf. I also hung a backer board behind it as I am dealing with a concrete wall and now I can hang stuff - like APEX - EB8's etc with ease. I got the stand and backer painted with 3 coats of Kilz oil based. Thanks to my daughter! I also started on rebuilding some plumbing as I will run all accessories off its own pump.

The bottom shelf will hold the 75 Gallon Oceanic Sump, a JBJ Chiller, and my return pumps. A hammerhead to drive the DT and a blowhole to run all of my accessories. With a 7" long stand I will still have plenty of space.

The top shelf will hold a 40 Breeder Refugium that will have a deep sand bed, Mangroves and some good Algae. Then I also have a 30 gallon Deep Blue Frag tank. This will still allow for room to work.

To the left of the stand will be a cabinet - this will hold a 20 long QT tank system, a shelf for my Reactors, Kalk, Bio, GFO and Calcium as well a nice and organized shelf for all the wonderful supplies I have accumulated! This will then open up about 12' of wall space that I am going to do built in shelving for my wonderful wife and give her back all the space she said I took..... Funny I didn't know she knew where the boiler room was!!

Last edited: Apr 11, 2015
  2. Click Here!

3. Newreef15

Newreef15 Horrid Stonefish

Do some before and after pics !!!!!

4. Reefbuilder

There is a video on my build thread of how it is now. I will take some pics along the way and post up a video once it's up and running.

5. Reefbuilder

Here is a pic of the stand and backer. I am still going to do one more coat of paint. Most likely an exterior gloss or semi gloss so it cleans well. [​IMG]

6. Reefbuilder

Been reading up on salt water mixing stations. This will also be part of my build.

7. Reefbuilder

Okay weekend is here! Going to start on plumping and going to build the shelving to hold the reactors and QT system and additional storage.

I will post up some pics along the way.

8. Click Here!

9. Reefbuilder

Okay so tonight banged out some plumbing. Ran my 2" drain to stand to crawl space, ran a 1.5" return to crawl space. Assembled the unions for my accessories by the sump. I am also going to run a fill line to the qt tank as I usually use water from a water change to fill it. I am going to put a bulk head and hose in the bottom front of the qt tank so I can drain it easily. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

10. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

Just curious since I am thinking i need to improve my sump situation as well, I am assuming you have your system up and running during all of this, will you have your sump offline for a bit when you tie the new plumbing into the existing? I haven't tackled this task because i am not sure what to do about my sump downtime waiting for the pvc adhesive to cure.

11. Reefbuilder

I am going to have all the PVC 99% done. there's two connections that will need to be made when I go to move my sump. I will leave my DT tank on with the wave makers during this time.

12. Reefbuilder

Here is the stand that will hold on my reactors and[​IMG] quarantine system and additional storage shelf for storage the bottom has room for buckets